Find and easily connect with IT colleagues across U-M in the Michigan IT workspace in Slack. You can use the Michigan IT workspace to:
- Create public or private channels to connect with peers on Michigan IT-related topics
- Network with IT colleagues across campuses
- Participate in a community of practice
- Learn about and participate in Michigan IT events
- Find new opportunities to learn skills and grow your career
The Michigan IT Slack workspace is intended for informal networking and information-sharing regarding the above activities. For formal service or support-related questions, please utilize existing channels or contact your respective helpdesk.
How to join
- Create a U-M Slack account, if you haven’t already.
- Join the Michigan IT Workspace in Slack:
- From a web browser: Visit slack.umich.edu to add the workspace. Find the Michigan IT Workspace and select “Launch in Slack.”
- From the Slack app: Click the “+” in the left navigation of Slack to add a new workspace. Select “Find more University of Michigan workspaces” and select “Open” next to the Michigan IT workspace.
- Note: If you do not see the Michigan IT Workspace as an option in Slack, you will need to join the michigan-it-slack MCommunity group using your @umich.edu credentials. The group is synchronized with Slack at approximately 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET each day.
Create a new channel
Members of the Michigan IT workspace can create public or private channels to connect with peers on Michigan IT related topics.
Tips for creating a new channel:
- Browse channels to determine if your channel topic already exists (and to pick up common naming conventions)
- When naming your channel, use a short and clear label that describes the purpose of the channel. Examples include:
- Decide on a public or private channel
- It’s recommended that you start with an open or public channel. You can always change the channel to private, but you cannot change a private channel to open.
- Note: Public channels will be searchable and findable by anyone in the workspace.
To request that channels are archived or to remove members from channels, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to leave
To leave the Michigan IT workspace, go to the michigan-it-slack MCommunity group and click “Resign.” It can then take up to twelve hours for MCommunity to update Slack.
For questions about the Michigan IT Slack workspace administration, contact email@example.com.