The GAIA Committee was formed to provide guidance to the university community for the use of generative AI and provide strategic advice to the VPIT-CIO and Provost.
- Provide clarity on generative AI tools, including strengths, weaknesses, new developments and future developments to monitor
- Provide guidance for the university community on how to handle the impact of Generative AI tools for Fall 2023
- Provide training and support infrastructure for the use of GAI tools
- Solicit faculty, student, and staff input
- Identify ethical and legal implications
- Study longer-term implications
- Mechanisms to evaluate and assess committee’s recommendations
- Recommend sustainable management and infrastructure for future research/development/adaptation of GAI technologies & tools at U-M
The committee is preparing an initial report to the Provost this summer.
Ravi Pendse, executive sponsor & co-chair
Karthik Duraisamy, Ph.D., Chair
Professor, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering & Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Director, Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery & Engineering (MICDE)
Assistant: Esther Haseli, firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Student, College of Engineering
Graduate Student, College of Engineering
Distance Learning Director, Office of Online and Digital Education
Adjunct Lecturer in Nursing, School of Nursing
University of Michigan, Flint
Anne Ruggles Gere, Ph.D.
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor
Gertrude Buck Collegiate Professor
Co-Chair, Joint Program in English and Education
Cait Hayward, Ph.D.
Director, Research & Analytics
Center for Academic Innovation
Libby Hemphill, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, School of Information
Nigel P. Melville, Ph.D., MS ECE
Program Director, Design Science
Associate Professor of Information Systems
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Associate Professor of Integrative Systems + Design
College of Engineering
David Mendez, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health
Associate Professor of Technology and Operations, Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Rada Mihalcea, Ph.D.
Janice M. Jenkins Collegiate Professor of Computer Science, College of Engineering
Director, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Strategic Communications Manager
Office of the Provost for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Kayte Spector-Bagdady, JD, MBioethics, HEC-C
Interim Co-Director, Center for Bioethics & Social Sciences in Medicine
Assistant Professor, Obstetrics & Gynecology
Theresa Tinkle, Ph.D.
Director, Sweetland Center for Writing
Professor of English and Arthur F. Thurnau Professor
Department of English
Assistant: Laura Schuyler, email@example.com
Colleen van Lent, Ph.D.
Lecturer IV | Posse 4 Mentor | Responsible Employee aka "Mandatory Reporter"
University of Michigan School of Information
Paul Watta, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
College of Engineering and Computer Science
University of Michigan-Dearborn
ITS Senior Project Manager