The IT capital request process is used to fund enterprise IT for the Ann Arbor campus. Michigan Medicine units should follow the capital planning process for the hospital and health centers. Units should use this process when planning any information technology investment greater than $1 million for a new or enhanced university-wide service.
Completed business cases can be submitted at any time to the intake group IT.Funding.Request@umich.edu. Funding decisions are made 3-4 times a year and are scheduled as needed.
- Step 1: Completed business cases are submitted to the intake group IT.Funding.Request@umich.edu.
- Step 2: The intake group reviews and consults regarding content, accuracy and persuasiveness.
- Step 3: CIO reviews the business case and provides endorsement based on strategic alignment.
- Step 4: Working group assesses the need for external advisory group review and facilitates executive review.
- Step 5: U-M executive officers make the funding decision.
Refer to the IT Capital Request Process Flow Chart for a more detailed step-by-step process.
(U-M authentication required to access templates.)
- IT Investment Business Case
Template to document the main business case.
- IT Funding Request Worksheet
Template to calculate cost and benefit figures reported in the business case. Include as an appendix to the business case.
- IT Business Case FAQ
Template for Frequently Asked Questions
- IT Business Case Glossary
Glossary template for defining business and technical jargon and acronyms.
For more information on or for assistance with the capital request process or templates, please contact the intake group at IT.Funding.Request@umich.edu.